From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:31:34 -0500
With so much conflicting evidence and opinion on the effects of neonicotinoids I find it hard to form an opinion of my own. Allen’s suggestion that the chemical may operate (be more persistent) differently in differing soils would help explain some of the anecdotal stories I have heard.

Neonicotinoids are applied to hybrid canola crops and I have never heard of any beekeeper experiencing losses after pollinating that crop in Alberta. However, much of the hybrid canola crop is owned and grown by Bayer CropScience and I think this creates a bit of a conflict. If I were getting $150/colony from Bayer I don’t think I’d publicly complain about there products - even if I did have some problems. Which is not to suggest anyone pollinating canola is having a problem. It's not inconcivable that the type of plant involved might be a factor with neonicotinoids.

I recently read an article by David Brooks:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/opinion/07brooks.html?_r=2&hp

In it he talks about various studies on human behaviour. For example:

“Classic research has suggested that the more people doubt their own beliefs the more, paradoxically, they are inclined to proselytize in favour of them. David Gal and Derek Rucker published a study in Psychological Science in which they presented some research subjects with evidence that undermined their core convictions. The subjects who were forced to confront the counterevidence went on to more forcefully advocate their original beliefs, thus confirming the earlier findings.”

Beekeepers are never in doubt,

Ted