From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2013 19:27:19 -0400
>>After I had several combs collapse due to the heat and then lost the hives [3] in the winter I chose to end my experiment. I have offered to give the hives to several hobby beekeepers with no takers.

Thinking back to the original hypothesis of comb collapse
due to painting the top bars with beeswax for a starter
strip....  The cause of most comb collapses is probably due
to an inability of the colony to cool the nest due to inadequate
ventilation, water source, or radiated heat, a design change
to the TBH would correct this.

I have only witnessed one comb collapse due to heat, and
it was in this colony sitting on the hot pavement.
http://s113.photobucket.com/user/FeralBeeProject/media/DCP_0734.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

A good indication that a colony may be over heating and
risking comb collapse, is a frenzy of activity at the nearest
water source.

Best Wishes
J. Waggel
https://www.facebook.com/Historical.Honeybee.Articles