Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2019 09:08:47 -0500
> Manuka honey work as to kill
> bacteria and are useful for topical use.

As does every honey to varying degrees. I used my raw honey topically to
heal my hands after surgery. The right one was first and the surgeon only
gave approval after the antibiotics did not do their job- the honey did. So
with my left hand he gave immediate approval, and honey worked fine. The
reasons it works is that it is antibacterial in that it is acidic and a
supersaturated sugar. But more importantly, at the honey/blood interface it
created hydrogen peroxide which both kills bacteria but also removes dead
tissue which means almost zero scar tissue. Chinese medicine still uses
honey for wound healing.

Manuka is touted to be more active than other honeys, its selling point,
but I consider it not worth the extra price, since my backyard honey worked
just fine. However, more power to them since they are generally speaking
the truth and getting a great deal on their honey.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine