From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 07:58:21 EDT
> From:    Seppo Korpela <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Hot air decapping
>
>          ... In this lot most combs had dark cappings (honey touches
> the cappings  without an air space under cappings) and these combs
> don't uncap well enough with hot air as the heat is transferred into
> the honey. (By the way, does somebody have an answer what determines
> the capping style with or without air space: the bees or the nectar
> source?)....

In his book _Honey_in_the-Comb_ Killion states that this is a genetic
trait.  He would work to cull the bees who left no air pocket between
honey and cappings from his breeding stock.  I highly recommend
Killion's book for all beekeepers, whether they intend to produce comb
honey or not.  Above and beyond comb honey tips, the book is full of
valuable general beekeeping tips, including a nice section on raising
your own queens.  _Honey_in_the_Comb_ is available from Dadant Press.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!