From:
DAVID ADAMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:08:36 -0400
I have to think that, to say that the bees need to stay home and be rested is just a cop out for not having an answer for the problem.
  Back in the 80's forward large commercial beekeepers sent bees from Florida to Cali without problems,and have been running to and fro from all over the USA back to Florida.
 The weather that time of the year ,for most of the trip out and back is not hot,and some loads only took 2 1/2 days ,not much more than going to Maine from Florida(one of my own loads).Something else started happening the fall of 2006 ,and it wasn't a trip to Cali from Flori. Almond pollen seems to make Florida bees look pretty nice .
  So I think we need to have that USDA reasearcher in the back room rethink the source of the problems,nothing has changed in decades about the way we move and ship bees ,the bee genes and
health ,and maybe virus's have.
  Resting them at home will just let them die without having to move them as much,the beekeeper more rested ,and more broke.