From:
Mike Bispham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:11:36 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

>>Hello Mike & All,
Mike makes some good points but his mindset  was the mindset when varroa
first arrived. <<

Hi Bob and All,

I'll reply in more detail later.  Can I say for now:

_I do not advocate 'live and let die' - which I take to mean 'do not treat,
 ever; and do not select either'._

I do advocate moving from a treatment-based (reactive) management regime to
 a selection-based (preventative) regime.

So the 'mindset' you attribute to me Bob is mistaken.

My main purpose in writing at all is to try to clarify things like the
relationship between treating and future generations, and the universal  need
for species to select/be selected in order to simply remain healthy.

I _do_ understand there are practical difficulties.  But I believe a  clear
picture of the core science is empowering to beekeepers and necessary if
we are to change things.  And a great many beekeepers lack  such  a picture,
and it isn't always easy to access.

With Joe I think that sometimes language difficulties obstruct clear
thinking and important discussions on this topic.  A case in point is the  term
'traditional husbandry', which I'll pick just as soon as I have a  moment.

Mike