From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:39:07 -0900
Hi George & All,

>You and I have perhaps had a few disagreements, mainly because I know
>NOTHING
>about Alaska except I know that the U.S. bought it from Russia just after
>the
>end
>of our Civil War for only about 6-7 million dollars, and the American
>public
>called it Secretary of State Seward, "Sewards Folly".

Partly true, and yes the purchase of Alaska by Seward was probably a Folly
but not to those who live in and love Alaska.

>However, as a scientist (which you seem to discredit or have little
>confidence),

Not true, I just do not believe all science just like not all people believe
in God. I know this might upset a scientist (not all) that thinks all
science is the gospel. What one scientist has proven correct one day could
be proven wrong another day. I think for myself and prove to myself and see
things for myself, because you can not believe all you read.

In my previous post I stated I do not mark my queens for reasons of my own,
I made this statement because I did not want to get into a debate about my
reasons which would make little good. People can mark their queens if they
please, I do not. In my opinion it is not something that needs to be done
and does not prove you to be a better beekeeper if you do it. There are good
solid reasons why a beekeeper would choose not to mark queens. Some
beekeepers want a clean hive and do not put foreign substances in a hive. I
can ID a queen if I wanted to without painting her or marking her with
paint.

As far a linage goes where I am I develop a sphere of influence where I keep
bees and most drones in the area are drones from the colonies I keep. This
is quit good enough for all intensive purposes. I am note going to overly
concern myself with the small stuff and worry about the few drones out there
that are not from the colonies I keep.

Nothing in life is completely perfect and no matter how you try to make it
perfect it won't be. Anyway a perfect world to me is a imperfect one. For
millions of years as imperfect as the honey bee was or wasn't it survived
great without man keeping them, now look how messed up they are with man
trying to perfect them and keep them.

Have a nice day, and MARK YOUR QUEENS only if you want or think you need to.

. . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ Caucasian Bee Keeper, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,