From:
Paul S LeRoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:01:52 -0400
In a message dated 26 July 99 Bruce Guidatti asked LLyod about varroa traps--
My immediate concern here in the Southern US would be about creating a
habitat for wax moths under the screen in the debris where bees cannot get
to them to destroy the larvae. It has been my experience that wax moths can
squeeze throug, under and otherwise gain entry to places we normally think
they cant penetrate.   We are using a more simple method of trapping varroa
that fall and at the same time helping to control trachael mites.  This
regimen has been followed on 24 colonies and none were lost last fall,
winter or this spring and all are producing as well as could be expected
considering the erratic flows we have had so far this year.  We have
requeened some colonies on schedule and others due to poor brood patterns,
drone laying etc but no more than normally expected.  We mix melted beeswax
and food grade mineral oil or regular cooking oil to a consistency of warm
butter or margerine, just thick enough so that it will not run if applied
on a vertical surface but will spread evenly with a stiff bristle paint
brush(we call it "glop" for lack of a better name).  We spread it evenly on
something simular to a sticky board(stiff paper, sheetmetal, thin plywood
or paneling etc).  Dont apply it so thick that a bee cannot walk in it and
they will still clean out the larger particles of debris and at the same
time get some of the oil on themselves.  The "glop" immobilizes the dropped
varroa and eventually kill them and the oil on the bees seems to control
the trachael mite.  After about 2 weeks or whenever most of the "glop" has
been worn off,we remove the board or paper or whatever we use and inspect
to see what has been collected, make sure nothing has accumulated
underneath it and reapply the "glop" and reinstall.  Length of time between
reapplication is adjusted by the amount and content of the debris
collected.  The board or whatever can be removed and reinserted with
minimum effort, time, and disturbance to the ladies if done at the proper
time with a little care and there is usually no need for scraping the
bottom board etc.
This regimen is not very scientific but seems to work well to keep the
mites under control.  We also use mineral oil on a paper towel on the top
bars of the brood frames in times when we expect larger populations of
varroa or when we see evidence of their presence.  We have not used Apistan
or the "DEADLY WHITE STRIPS" in two years and get a premium for the honey
harvested as a result.