From:
Gerard Worrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:16:57 -0500
On Wed, 22 Mar 1995, Gordon L. Scott wrote:

> In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
> > >My debate is do I put them in the country where there may be
> > >more pollen sources but I will only be able to observe them once a week
> > >(sometimes every other week). Or do I keep them in the city where I can
> > >observe their flying, etc. daily but may not have as much pollen source?
> >
> > I once read that city bees actually do better than bees in the country in
> > one of the bee books.
>
> I believe that bees do indeed usually do better in cities than the
> country.   I  guess that there is plenty of forage in most places,
> but not too much competition for it.
>
> The last Govenor of the Bank of England in the City of London used
> to  keep  several  hives right on the roof of the bank and reports
> that he always had excellent crops, even in  bad  years.   If  you
> look  quickly  around  the City, you'd say there was _nothing_ for
> them but if you look closer there are lots  of  little  places  --
> roof  gardens,  hanging  baskets,  tubs  on balconies, tiny little
> gardens (a few by the river) and so on.  I doubt that forage would
> be a problem even in an area like Manhattan.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Gordon Scott          [log in to unmask]   Compuserve 100332,3310
> Basingstoke Beekeeper [log in to unmask]

In Maryland, our best sources of nectar are trees rather than field
crops- tulip poplar,locust,holly. The cities tend to have a wide variety
planted for ornamental purposes. Streets lined with Linden (Basswood)
trees would be a great source of light honey. I know of several city
locations I would love to have a few hives!

Jerry Worrell