From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2010 07:43:57 -0600
??>Allen: True . My concern is residues and potential side effects on bee
brood.
Medhat

    Phostoxin is the most common chemical used for comb storage by *large*
commercial beekeepers in the U.S. .
Also used on produce & fruit. Has been around for decades.

The chemical dissipates fast after the initial treatment and if the building
or container is opened another treatment needs done.

In Florida Bell Honey had one building which could treat 20,000 deeps at one
time. The metal building was sprayed on the outside with a deep layer of
foam to contain the chemical during the treatment.

Bell had another such building in South Dakota which would treat another
10,000 deeps.

In my opinion phostoxin is safe for the bees (after treatment and the
equipment is aired) but needs caution for the
applicator. Different state have different rules as to application. Most
require professionals to apply *if* used from gas bottles.
Nebraska requires a professional and most beekeepers are glad to pay a
professional.

The treatment will work in a leaking container but the moths will re enter.
tight seal has to be had. One of the biggest messes I ever saw came from a
beekeeper which instead of taking my advice and buying a ocean container
(these will float in the ocean if they fall overboard) he bought an old semi
trailer. Hired the trailer gassed and forgot about the trailer full of
supers. The next spring there were wax moths from one end to the other. I
would guess he lost a thousand boxes. How would you like the job cleaning
those up and replacing comb?

Also comes in tablet form ( although I do not know where they get these) and
these have been applied by beekeepers . The common way is through a roof on
a ocean container through a piece of schedule 40 PVC with a cap on top.

Pallets of comb are stored outside in Mexico ,covered with plastic with the
tablets inside and sand is placed around the edge of the plastic to keep the
area sealed. The chemical works similar to cyanide in that it kills all life
forms in a short period of time then dissipates.

I have been told that repeat expose can lead to a loss of white blood cells.

bob