From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:10:27 -0800
Forgive me if I violate any etiquette. This is my first try at sending
something to the list.

I and some others think that some of the mite control we get from
menthol and even the "oils" used by some comes from the heat generated
by the bees to fan out the vapor from the hive. If you look at most of
the methods to control mites, especially tracheal, they all involve
irritating gasses introduced into the hive.
When the bees fan, they increase their body temperature. I believe they
can go as high as 120-122F which should be high enough to kill any mites
in their trachea. In Japan, bees "ball" hornets and fan to bake the
hornet to death. If the bees can stand the high temperature and the
hornets cannot, it seem that the same might be true with the bees and
tracheal mites. Even some varroa could succumb if they are lodged into
the bee and not able to get out before being baked. Varroa are probably
least effected because are more distant from the wing muscles and quick
little bugs while the tracheal mite is inside the bee and cannot go
anywhere.
 It works with us. Our bodies create a fever to kill viral and bacterial
infections.  The same increased temperature should also work to kill
trachel mites.
Would appreciate your comments.