From:
"j.burgess4" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
j.burgess4
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:34:24 -0000
From previous messages:

>I got a question for everybody; Has anyone of you came
> across the miticide "clartan" or "clatan" or something
> sounding like this, because this is what another
 >apiary (Philippines) is using for Varoa mite control.
 >I don't  know the particulars because it was just sold
 >to me by the beekeeper I bought one of my nucs from ,
 >although I asked, he could not give me  the
 >particulars. It came in a highly absorbent piece/strip
 >of wood, so I guess it was in liquid form and the wood
 >was soaked in it.

and:

> The chemical of Klartan is FLUVALINATE
> Best Regards, Massimiliano.

The problem with Klartan is that it is not available in a form tested
and approved for use in beekeeping.
It is thought that beekeepers in Italy used a liquid agricultural
formulation of Klartan, absorbed on a porous piece of wood or similar
to combat varroa. Because there was no control over the amount
applied, this practise inevitably gave rise to resistance, not only to
Klartan, but to the whole class of synthetic pyrethroids including
Bayvarol and Apistan.
At the risk of repeating what has already been stated many times on
this list, stick to approved products, used according to the label.

John Burgess, Editor Gwenynwyr Cymru/The Welsh Beekeeper