Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2011 02:26:54 -0400
> I'm amazed at how well the bees (even "Large Cell" bees) draw these out...quickly and near perfect worker comb.

I have not noticed how they compare to the Permadent I put in at  the same time.  It seemed to me that they were accepted about the same, but now I will pay more attention.

> They are cheap and flimsy one piece plastic frames...

It is funny that people are happy to handle top bar frames which are difficult to avoid breaking when full and which must be held just so, and yet are not happy with a minimal frame like the Pierco and its knock-offs.  IMO, it is an ideal design.  It is unfamiliar for many, though, and takes some getting used to.  The flexing is no issue as they are strong enough to handle quite roughly, the shoulders don't get built up with goop and the queens cross the top and bottom bars willingly.  They don't fill the brood chamber with strips of wood and the much reduced top and bottom bar area is instead devoted to brood.  That results in better brood chamber geometry.  The biggest criticism I hear is that the plastic tabs do not climb up on chains in conveyors well.  There is also the question of disposal at sme point in time.

> their higher end ones (with metal a metal strip in the top bar) are 5.4.

5.4 is the same dimension as Permadent and fine for honey extraction, but IMO, these cells are larger than I like for brood.

Personally, I think Root had it right the first time at 5.1 and then 5.2 as a good compromise.  IMO, 4.9 is smaller than desirable for large expanses of comb unless you are running AHB like in parts of the Southern US, and it's not great for extracting due to the smaller mass in each cell and increased capillary action which tends to hold honey inthe cell.   Most bees will use these cramped sizes like 5.0 and 4.9 mm, but when the same comb is used for brood and extraction, the smaller cells do not extract as well.

>If it doesn't interfere with your other management goals, it would be interesting if you could concentrate these frames into the broodnests of a few hives and see if you notice anything at all.

I'll be watching, seeing as I have quite a pile of them.

>In any case, your "I [Heart] SC" tshirt, baseball cap, and handy dandy Deespeak decoder ring are in the mail, and we expect to see you in Leominster this year!

I do like South Carolina.  Never had a problem understanding Dee.  But what's Leominster?  Is it like Adidas, Helly Hansen, Prada, etc.?  I'm not up on fashion these days.