From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:37:23 -0500
Hello Todd and All,

1) Am I correct in assuming that the majority of varroa infestation in the
U.S. is V. Jacobsoni?

No Varroa destructor

2) Is V. Destructor here as well?

All I have ever seen as been V.d.but we were told for years that VD was VJ.

3) Are there physical/behavioral differences between the two which would
suggest differences in treatment?

Yes
        ----->  How do we tell the difference?

VD is oblong and VJ is oval

There are many strains even within VD and VJ I am told. We really only now
are learning a great deal about varroa . There are several other mites which
infest bees which are not (yet) found in the U.S.
Bob