From:
"Kim Flottum, Editor Bee Culture" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:05:14 -0400
You can customize the final comb if you want by placing starter strips of
foundation in the jar to begin with. Cut small strips and stick them to the
inside of the jar around the circumference, in stripes up and down, hanging
from the top of the jar (the bottom actually), having them go from one side
to the other, singly or in crosses or multistrips....your imagination is the
only limitation. Let the bees draw the comb, fill then cap during a honey
flow, certainly. Cover the jar with something easily removable (AL foil) to
keep the outside clean while it is in the hive. Once capped, harvest, clean
as good as possible then fill with liquid honey. Quart jars sell in the
neighborhood of $10. each at some farmer's markets when made this way.

Kim Flottum
Editor, Bee Culture Magazine
1-800-289-7668 x3214
623 W. Liberty St. Medina OH 44256