From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:18:05 -0600
Hello Randy & All,

I like my friend Randy will continue to try and figure todays beekeeping
problems out. I was going to answer Randy direct but perhaps my input
might help others on the list. Thanks for sharing Randy!

> There was an unusual amount of Deformed Wing Virus, even when mite levels
> were low.  I have no explanation.

We saw DWV from the start of the varroa infestation (late 80's)but ONLY in
hives with high infestation. About five years ago many of us checking
varroa loads started reporting we were seeing Parasitic Mite Syndrum (PMS)
in hives with low mite loads through various testing methods. Researchers
explained to me that despite what the varroa threshold crowd was preaching
that testing methods (varroa natural drop and rolls) were crude and was
the problem. Those hives did contain high mite loads. They said taking a
section of brood comb and pulling all the pupa and counting varroa was the
most accurate and the method they had moved to. I used the brood method on
test hives but found what Randy did above.

I have no explanation but add that I am sure in the first decade of varroa
when we had treatments with 98% varroa control that we saw no DWV (or pms)
 in hives with low mite levels.

>  On the other hand, many colonies that had very low mite
> levels in August, and weren't treated, died.

What could be the reason? If the researchers which said my mite load
testing was not accurate were incorrect then what else could be the cause?

possible answers:
1.Virus issues are different.
2. If No. 1 is true then treating all hives in fall might be a solution
for certain non varroa tolerant lines of bees.
3.Five years ago my researchers would have said Randy's hives had a higher
varroa load than he found with his testing methods. I tended to agree five
years ago but not today. It is my opinion that DWV (and PMS) is being seen
in some hives with low varroa loads.

 Also that the Russian bee tolerates varroa loads higher than most lines
will without PMS. I mean varroa loads over threshold with no PMS. I have
no explanation other than genetics.

However those genetics seem to go away quickly when the pure Russian is
out crossed ( my own testing of over 400 Russian hives).

Dr. Shiminuki said he felt through breeding we would come up with a varroa
tolerant bee within 20 years. Well 20 has just  passed and we have made
some small steps in the right direction but still the bee which will
handle varroa untreated from now on has not appeared. The Russian bee is
the nearest to our goal for the commercial beekeeper but they still have
qualities I do not care for but I am bringing in some Russian queens to
use this spring. I respect the opinions of beekeepers like Charlie Harper,
Hubert Tubbs and Carl Webb enough to take another look.

Good results are being seen with the VSH and the Marla Spivak queens but
only reports from those using those queens.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--
believed to be clean.