Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:09:53 +0000
""bees draw their own comb from a 1"
strip attached to the top bar?""
I bought  brood boxes where the comb was drawn without foundation. 1) a lot of it was drone comb 2)  Even though a bead  of melted wax had been put along the bottom bar, the comb was not always drawn to it, and on these frames the whole slab of comb and brood could/did break and fall out during inspection, even when well attached at the top. An improvement might be to run a bead of wax along the entire bottom and end bars as well as the top, to encourage as many attachments as possible. The grower I bought these from now uses plastic waxed foundation and I have culled most of the frames
Greg Hawkins
Everton