From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:21:31 -0600
Harry Goudie wrote:
I don't see how this will be of much help with varroa.
Thirty years ago i thought the biggest problem in North America would be
the African bee at the start of a new century! Boy was i wrong!
I hate the fact that we are trying every chemical known to us to try to
stop Varroa. Chemicals are a solution for now but is there a simpler
solution we are not seeing. Many researchers concide that varroa may
prove unstopable in the long run. Formic acid has been the lifesaver in
other countries but legally not for use in U.S. till fall and then only
in gell. All those beekeepers which used coumaphos last year in Florida
and Georgia are being sent notices they can't sell comb honey produced
over those hives that were treated with coumaphos. What if you only
business was comb honey. What other surprises are in store! No honey can
be sold over a hive treated with fluvalinate or formic acid. How can any
person say for sure with chemical use of any kind.
Our research people KNOW what i am talking about and are trying to come
up with screens for bottom boards and IPM for hives. Twenty years and no
resistance to formic acid but with 65% to 85% doses. Will the gell at a
much less dose cause a super varroa mite resistant to all levels of
formic acid. Seems to me a lot of unknowns in beekeeping at this time.
Bob