From:
Marc Sevigny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:05:58 -0400
As I was putting in my entrance reducer, I was
wondering if it is best to install it with the opening
against the hive body, rather than on the bottom
board. As bees die and drop to the bottom board,
I assume the exit can get blocked.  Is this common
practice?  I saw no mention of the positioning in
my book.

Also, I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
I made my own reducer.  Rather than a 1" wide X
3/4" long opening, as reducers are sold, I made a
4" wide X 1/2" opening, so that the bees have a
larger exit, better ventilation (until it gets very cold)
and it can double as a mouse guard.  Anything
wrong with this?

Marc Sevigny                      [log in to unmask]
Legato Systems                (508) 229-0400 X101
Summit Place 4th Floor
420 Lakeside Ave                fax: (508) 229-0400
Marlborough, MA 01752       www.legato.com