From:
Bryan Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:56:35 +1200
Peter Dillon wrote

Hello World,

It appears to me that there are more and more problems associated with
pesticides when allied to bee damage.

What can we as a globally connected group do?

A report was commissioned by the National Beekeepers Association of New
Zealand after beekeepers suspected that the surfactant or wetting , soapy
agent added to sprays was killing bees. The work was done by Dr RM Goodwin
and HM McBrydie in June 1999. It was the EFFECT OF SURFACTANTS USED WITH
FUNGICIDES, HERBICIDES AND INSECTICIDES ON HONEY BEE MORTALITY.
My interpretation of the report is that all surfactants kill bee. Boost and
Pulse were the worst with Ethokem and Boost having oral toxicity. So
spraying at night is not safe.  Many killed at 10% of the manufactures
recommended concentration. Because surfactants are cheap to buy, growers
don't measure accurately. EG if a little works more must be better. This
attitude means an even better kill of bees.

Regards Bryan Clements