From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:44:11 -0500
This message was  originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to  the BEE-L
list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU. It was edited to remove quotes of previously
posted material.
----------------- Original message (ID=7178BE4B) (75 lines)

Hello All:
Dave Green has described exactly honey from the "Bitter Weed",
Hellenium tenuifolium;   see Pellett's American Honey Plants (Dadant),
fifth Edition, Page 56 forward, described perfectly  and accurately.
It is very common in the south especially on rural roadsides and waste
land.  It does bloom very late July and in August here in Alabama when
there is otherwise relative of nector.  It ranges from Missouri across
Tenn. into North Carolina, and South.  My observation is that bees
don't work it actively, and though several people have reported
collection of a superful of honey in this time frame (30 pounds), it
is inedible.  Pellett cites a report that states bitterweed can be
fatal to horses and mules in the Gulf States, which I have not heard
of, but milk cows will eat it readily, and you can take my word for
it, one can hardly drink the milk or eat the butter.  I have had one
colony positioned to work this plant, but one saw few bees on the
plant or bloom.  The whole plant, narrow leaves, stem, foliage, bud,
bloom and pollen are all bitter as bitter can be.  If you don't
believe that, find some and taste it!  ( as Dave Green said, you can't
get this out of your  mouthin an hour).

Hellenium amarum, also known as  'Bitterweed', is described in the
Manual of the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas by Radford A. Bell, and
occurs very widely in both N. and S.  Carolina.  I do not  know
whether it is worked by bees or produces honey, facts not mentioned in
this reference.  Hope this helps.

Bob Barnett
Birmingham,  AL