From:
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 09:50:10 -0600
Entomologists and forester's use a system similar to the lineman's pole and
bucket to sample branches high in trees for insect and disease surveys.

Most are telescoping pole pruner's (like you find in garden centers) with
one important difference.  A metal hoop and fabric basket is mounted on the
pole just below the cutting head.  These pruner's are usually a bit
sturdier than the garden center variety (the weight of the "basket" tends
to collapse or buckle light poles)

One could make up a swarm catcher fairly easily.  Any pole would work.

For a deluxe system (money no object), go to a janitorial or paint supply
store.  They sell heavy, telescoping poles for window washing or overhead
painting.

I'd suggest fiberglass.  You might survive tapping a power line with a
fiberglass or wooden pole, I'd not want to try it with a metal pole.

Make the hoop for the basket out of a Flat BAR of aluminum - say 1/8 thick
x 1/2 inch wide x ? feet.  The last measure depends on how big you want
your basket opening to be.  Too small and you will just brush bees around.
Too large, and you will have a heck of a time holding it up.  I'd shoot for
a diameter of 2-3 ft.

Don't use a round rod or wire.  Why?  An old entomologist's sweep net
trick.  Wire and round rods bend easily and the hoop may fold under the
weight of the bees.  A flat piece of metal makes a hoop that will be almost
impossible to bend.  Remember the metal bands around wooden wagon wheels?
Form your hoop around a bucket or some other round object. Where the ends
meet, you can make a mount for the pole by just bending the last few inches
of each end of the flat bar back at about 90 degrees to the hoop.

For the bag, I'd suggest something light in weight and color.  Nylon works
well, very slippery - the pole pruner's that I mentioned often use a heavy
white nylon bag (light material will snag and tear in branches).  I've also
used a mesh bag (not netting - more like the material used in onion bags).
I like the mesh bag.  I don't need a box.  Tie off the bag and the bees can
still breath.  You can transport them to where you need them - assuming you
don't leave the bag in the sun and that the swarm has enough room to move
around in the bag.

Bottom line, lots cheaper than the medical bills for falling out of a tree.

Jerry J. Bromenshenk, Ph.D.
Director, DOE/EPSCoR & Montana Organization for Research in Energy
The University of Montana-Missoula
Missoula, MT  59812-1002
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel:  406-243-5648