From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:15:12 +0100
James

I invited criticism and stated the back was broad, good job it is.

You are perfectly correct, all chemicals are potentially hazardous if
misused and generally I preach along the same lines as you, i.e. use four
strips (Bayvarol) for a full size colony and don't be a D.I.Y. chemist and
suddenly, in order to save money, change that number to two, or seal the
package with sticky tape, or even as I know was being practised locally (not
by me I hasten to add), cutting a corner off after the first use, and each
strip has four corners. All totally irresponsible.

But you are incorrect in assuming that the manufacturers recommendations are
the same for Bayvarol as Apistan, maybe even the regulations between
countries varies. Although I have used Apistan strips in the past I
generally use Bayvarol being nearly as cheap and more easily available.

Bayer state, and I quote, "The strips should be left in the colonies for a
maximum of six weeks and then removed". I would have like to emphasise the
word "colonies", but cannot in plain text format, as I would do nothing
other than to support that statement simply to avoid possible mite
resistance to the chemicals. Bayer also state that "ideally the strips
should not be used during peak honey flow periods" but continue further down
the literature that for diagnosis or severe infestations they may be used at
anytime, and "no withdrawal period for honey is required regardless of when
in the year Bayvarol is used". From conversations I have had with Bayers
they have confirm this statement stating there is virtually nil detectable
levels of the chemical flumethrin found in honey. My suggestion was to use
them in stored supers which obviously contain no honey, no bees present
leading to resistance, the only problem that might arise is cut comb honey
supers as the chemical can be absorbed by the wax, but surely those combs
are on the supermarket shelves and not stored inviting wax moth
infestations.

And the suggestion I posted that used varroacide (maybe I ought have
confined my suggestion to Bayvarol) strips might be hung in stacks of supers
to kill or deter wax moths I consider is NOT irresponsible. You are the
scientist, I live in the world of the real beekeeper and struggle hard, I
believe, to encourage them to use strips at all and if by suggesting an
added incentive maybe even you might change your mind that my mailing is not
totally out of order (my words, not yours).

Two final points I would like to add. Personally as a hobbyist beekeeper I
consider my super combs are 'food containers' and will not allow brood to be
reared in them. If a delinquent queen should decide to move into them any
such combs are destroyed at the end of the season, or scraped back to the
midrib. This action prevents the depositing of the larval skins which I
believe is a major part of the diet of wax moth larvae, without them you get
little wax moth (as I think has been promoted many times in these pages). So
for once I cannot say I practice what I preached, the intention was to
encourage use of varroa strips as far too many colonies are dying locally
for failing to do so.

The second point is that when acting as your projectionist at the BBKA
Stoneleigh Convention a few years ago I never got the same 'ear bashing'
when I put the slides in the wrong order.

Thank you James for your comments, I must admit generally I totally agree
with your sentiments.

Ken Hoare