From:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:11:31 -0700
Tom Barrett asks about how to dispose of Bayvarol and Apistan strips.

Sorry Tom, but I think this is the type of question that should not be asked
of this list.   The question should be:  What disposal recommendations are
required by the product label? (I presume that you don't have access to a
copy of the UK label or you wouldn't have asked.)  "Read and follow all
label directions" is good advice
for agricultural pesticide applicators and beekeepers.  And sometimes the
label is confusing.

The disposal requirements on the U.S. Apistan label are somewhat confusing.
They are as follows:

" STORAGE and DISPOSAL:  Do not contaminate water, food, or feed by storage
or disposal."

"Disposal:  Do not reuse strips.  Wastes resulting from use of this product
may be disposed of on site or at an approved waste disposal facility."

The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), that is not usually available with
the product at the retail level, says:

"Waste Disposal Method (Consult federal, state, & local regulations.):  Do
not reuse container or used strip.  If household waste, wrap and put in
trash.  If large numbers of strips are to be discarded, dispose of in an
approved landfill or incinerator.  In all cases, it is best to consult local
authorities as to appropriate disposal procedures and locations."

This language suggests there are five ways to dispose of the strips:
1.    on site (in the apiary),
2.    in an approved waste facility,
3.    wrap and put with household waste,
4.    put in an approved landfill (here a landfill is the destination of
household waste),
5.    in an approved incinerator.

The above language reflects what we call "boiler plate" terminology common
to many product labels written by manufacturers.

It is my personal opinion that there is or may be a conflict between the two
statements, especially in some parts of Washington State, i.e.  "Do not
contaminate water," and "this product may be disposed of on site," .

I don't think the company is aware of the common "site" of apiaries.
Disposal of the Apistan strips (and maybe Bayvarol?) in many apiaries may
constitute a contamination of ground water depending on how the chemical
remaining on the strips after a treatment may be affected by sunlight and
temperature, and whether rain will move the chemical residue into the soil.
Our studies show that about 8 to 13 percent of the chemical remains on the
surface of the strip after a 45 to 60 day treatment period.

I called the manufacturer today and asked how Apistan (and fluvalinate)
breaks down in the environment, whether the used strips should be disposed
of in the apiary, and the potential impact of burning the strips in a
backyard burn barrel.  I was told that the strips should not be burned with
household waste in a backyard burn barrel.  They should be disposed of by
wrapping them in newspaper and placing them with household waste for
disposal in a landfill, or they should be delivered to a government approved
commercial waste facility or incinerator.  (The department of agriculture's
pesticide folks agreed with the manufacturer's directions.)

I suggested to the manufacturer that the disposal language on the label
should be written something like this:  Disposal:  Dispose of used strips by
wrapping in paper and placing with household garbage, or in an approved
commercial waste disposal facility, landfill, or incinerator.  Do not burn
strips with household or yard waste.

I suspect the UK Apistan label will read similar to the U.S. label.  Since
Bayvarol is not sold in the U.S., I can't quote the label recommendations.

I think this will answer your question Tom.

James C. Bach