Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:05:21 EDT
Hi Tom;
Your subject bore great intrigue to me as an old scientist.

Before writing my thoughts to you, I paused trying to ascertain the
importance of the many variables, most of which are not controllable; hence,
Wetmore's conjecture lacks science because of no established control for
comparison.

However, it makes no difference, because the reply you got from Thom Bradley
would be exactly my feelings.

Chris Slade mentioned the writings of Beowulf Cooper.  I acquired his book
about
40 years ago, and I don't believe that I ever finished reading it.  Maybe my
bed was too warm and comfortable.

Try this example to test your thinking:  Consider two bees, both exactly 5
weeks old.  One became 5 weeks old on June 1st, and how much additional life
can be expected of her compared a bee that became 5 weeks old on December
1st?   or
Two bees, both emerging from their cells on June 1st.  However, it rained
almost every day from June 20th to July 10th and bees could rarely forage.
In the adjoining county, it was warm and sunny rain-free during the same
period and bees were very busy foraging.  Can you suggest a death date for
either?  I can't.

I am in my 66th year of beekeeping.  Many of my school classmates are dead
and some have been dead quite some time.  I think it is better that science
can't answer this.

Have a fine year!

George Imirie in Maryland, founded by the Lord Calvert on 3/25/1634