From:
Thom Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:06:59 -0400
    Dave,
    Good advise. I called mosquito control and when I said "beekeeper" they
passed me to a supervisor that got a little defensive. I made sure he knew that I
was trying to be helpful and he cooled down. They use malathion and the spray was
during flying time. I will note times in the future and bring up the information
at our next meeting.
    His first compromise is to stop the fogger prior to my house and turn it back
on again after my house. That only gives me a few hundred feet though, certainly
not enough space for foragers. I will contact my local extension agent and use
his assistance to see if we can get the standard times changed to sunset rather
than 6 PM. That certainly cannot be too much to ask.

The stopping of the spray near my home is inadequate to protect my bees, also, it
does not address unmanaged hives or hives moved for pollination services. The
label is to protect all bees, and not just honeybees.

Kinda fired up now 'cause if it was a private citizen ignoring the label, the FDA
and EPA would be repossessing my business license and fining me. We'll try
education first.
I'll pass on information as it is discovered.

Thom Bradley
Chesapeake, VA