From:
Christopher Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:36:17 EDT
Tom,
My MP, Oliver Letwin, said he would ask a written parliamentary question this
week and let me have a reply when available.  My view is that we have too many
viruses already, that the effect of some of them is greatly magnified in the
presence of Varroa and that it would be utter folly to allow another one in if
it can possibly be avoided.
The reason for allowing packages in is said to be to make up for losses caused
by varroa.  This action may well increase the losses.  If people up north in
freshly affected areas want packages of bees why not talk to beekeepers in the
south where we have had varroa for years and are generally able to cope with
it?   We are not currently geared up to producing packages but I am sure it
could be done if the demand is there.  It has to make more sense than shipping
bees half way around the world.  It was moving bees internationally that
brought us varroa and the Americas "killer bees".
Chris Slade