From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:13:39 +0100
Maybe, this is of some interest to the all LIST
Attila writes:
> Hi! It looks like you have varroa in your country also. I wonder if you
ever
>used amitraz. I would be interested if you would have the details how to
use
>this chemical. It is effective for both mites. Thanks for your help. Attila

Hi, Attila & ALL

Your E-mail address hidens country?s identity but your name reminds me of
Finland?
Yes, we have the warroa and, I heard, even tracheal mites. Warroa Jacobsoni
came here in the 60-th. I liked the  link:
http://apiculturene.cas.psu.edu/SammMap.html , showing when and how the mite
spread in the world. Finland ? 1976.

Amitraz is forbidden in many countries. Nevertheless, some big beekeepers
use it here. I was told a case concerned with it. Some years ago a group
representing our beekeepers? society visited well known and experienced
elderly fellow. He was seen far ahead looking after his hives. The group
chatting came nearer and then suddenly astonished. ?The host disappeared
somewhere, maybe, avoiding of the meeting? made a joke someone. But soon the
host was found lying among hives unconscious. When he came to his senses he
have told about his experience in fighting against the warroa mites with a
Mitac (based on amitraz).

Some courageous fellows put 2-3 drops on a paper tape, burns it, slip into
hive?s entrance and close it for 15-20 minutes. Paper tape burns better
being soaked in water solution of KNO3 and dried before using. The heated
KNO3 releases O i.e. oxygen and smokes better.

I think, more dangerous method is to spray with water/Mitac solution. ( the
case with our beekeeper). You have to put 2-3 drops of Mitac in one Liter of
water and then spray the combs, thus breathing the poisonous vapour youself.

This year I used Gabon tapes. They worked excellent. One tape about $1. If
one have many hives it takes a great money, therefore some fellows risk.

Best wishes

Rimantas Zujus
Kaunas
LITHUANIA