From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:16:05 -0500
(Thomas) (Cornick) wrote:

> Actually putting Apistan in on the first warm enough day in March is what I do
> here in Connecticut as well as feeding 1-1 syrup to get my colonies booming.
> There is one hell of a flow here from maple and dandylion early on.

It is interesting to note regional/climatic differences as they impact upon
management practices.  Some discussion has centered on winter feeding practices -
on whether to feed syrup, and if so by what means.  In southern Michigan it is
really not so cold, but still I would never try to feed syrup anytime during
winter.  When feeding is necessary I always use candy boards, ever since Roger
Hoopingarner (formerly of Michigan State University) promoted their use in place
of syrup.

In early spring however, I always have felt that the best bee feed for brood
rearing is that which the bees collect themselves.  We too have wonderful maple
flows - the trees are singing with bees at times.  But rather than feed, I allow
the colonies to use this for their own buildup.  It is only after the dandelion
bloom has faded that I put on supers for surplus collection.  Of course, the
fruit tree flow is the colony's as well, but they do so well during late spring
and summer months here that I don't begrudge them this treat.

Incidentally, this means that I don't have to put on Apistan until April 1, which
time subjectively feels a lot better for me.  It comes off mid-May, when I am
making splits for summer and am in the hives anyhow.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA