Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:37:06 -0400
Aaron, as you know we share the same climate and last winter I over-wintered
40 five frame nucs in split deep boxes atop regular hives.  I had no losses,
which is unusual.  I usually have about 10%.

For the bottom of the nucs I use 3/8  plywood nailed on.  I do not put them
atop the regular hives until late October as I want the combs full of
goldenrod/aster honey.

In my opinion, your comb honey hives would over-winter extremely well atop
normal hives, provided they have at least five full frames of sealed honey
or sugar water.  I think these hives will do so well they will want to swarm
first thing in 1999!

I have found it is best to put an auger hole above the hand hold of the
upper hive body if nucs are on top.  With no inner cover or way for any of
the moisture to escape, these hives can get into trouble.

Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds   the finest in comb honey production.