From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 17:11:11 EST
In a message dated 11/22/98 10:35:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> It is said that fermentation is more likely to happen
>  after honey crystalises than at any other time.  would some body please
>  tell me why this so .  I need an answer invery simple lay person's
>  language - Science is not my forte.

    The bees dry out the honey until it is below 18% moisture. Yeast cannot
reproduce in such a concentrated sugar solution. But when honey crystallizes,
the crystals are nearly pure sugar, and the water comes to the surface of the
crystals. This water can provide a medium for yeast to begin reproduction.

    Crystallized honey will not ferment completely (to make mead or honey
wine) unless water is added. The fermentation that occurs in the watery film
is just enough to make off-tastes in the honey. I've never seen enough of that
to be of any real damage, except when honey is left crystallized in a very
warm location. Crystallized honey, stored in drums in a cool warehouse, will
restore to almost its original flavor, when reliquified.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm