From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 19:39:34 +0100
Scotland is a very small country but, geographically it is very diverse
there being great difference in terrain and climate between the borders
and the highlands and also between east and west coasts.  I think that
there will be many places in Scotland which will remain varroa free
especially on the west coast and western and nothern Islands where
people and bees are widely spaced.  I think therefore that destroying
infected hives in these areas is the best policy.  I would like to see
some sort of registration of hives so that when one appears in the
middle of a heather moor you know where it has come from and its owner's
name and address.  Since Scotland is no longer considered to be "Varroa
Free" the restrictions on moving bees will no longer apply which I think
will cause a lot of problems in areas which do not have the mite.  A
tragedy for the Islands!

--
Harry
Scotland