From:
paul s leroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:16:52 -0400
At 09:10 AM 4/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all.  I am new at this game, and have a question.  I am monetarily
weak this year (and most others) but
>assume that the bees will produce despite my lack of equipment!  My
question is, what advice can various people
>with experience give me in terms of extracting honey without any mechanical
assistance?  How should I go about it?

>Thanks for all replies,
>
>Ben
I use a very archiac method on about 3 hives here in South Carolina.  First
.take two 5 gallon plastic buckets,  on the first  bucket  about half way
down  drill 5/16 inch holes, not more than a half inch apart  all around and
in the bottom.  On opposite sides of the top row of holes I insert from the
inside an alunimum or stainless  5/16 bolt or 1/4 or whatever size is handy,
about 3/4 inch  long with washer  and put a washer and nut on the  outside
to  create a hanger.  Then put the second bucket inside the first , after
thoroughly decapping  the honey  then while holding the frame over the
bucket, cut the comb out in about one inch strips starting at the top.
(Dont over load the inside bucket as it will get too heavy to easily handle)
.  Next , set the whole setup into a black garbage bag, tie the top to hold
the heat in and let the sun do the rest.  Naturally , it is convenient to
have a metal table to work on and much easier cleanup. Only a few hours
during the middle of the day and maybe one stir and only miniscule amount of
honey will remain in the comb if you have decapped properly.  Next, strain
through cheese cloth or nylon stocking for crystal clear honey.  It doesnt
get hot enough to pasteurize the honey , just warm enough to make it flow
easily.  After thorough cleaning, store the buckets in another black plastic
bag tied at the top ready, for the next time it is needed.   It doesnt break
down, doesnt wear out, is inexpensive, clean and doesnt take a rocket
scientist to make or operate.  It is archiac but it works!!!!!        Paul
LeRoy - hobby beekeeper for longer than I like to remember.