From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:38:24 +0900
Elroy wrote re problems encountered with the Jenter kit:

>I hope this is not common because I  had just purchased the Jenter box
>and plan to order possibly two more.

We have been using the Jenter kit for several years and find it very
satisfactory.  I have emailed my suggestions as to the reason for the bees
eating the eggs direct to Robert Kearney but as others on the list are new
users of the Jenter kit, post our normal practice here for others to compare
with their own technique.  I seriously doubt whether even a queen breeder
needs more than 1 since if managed correctly you can take off 99 potential
queen cells every 4 days.

The Jenter kit was discussed recently on the web and there was a very
informative posting as to how the kit was made up for those who are not
aware of the advanced techniques now available to avoid direct grafting.

Our procedure is:

Every monday afternoon after 4:00 p.m. - find queen and lock in restraint cage.
Place cell bars in cell starter hive for warming.
Tuesday morning - release queen, removing entire front of restraint cage.
Leave in breeder hive.
Friday morning - graft cells into queen cell cups and place in cell starter
hive.
Replace restraint cage complete with central locking plate in breeder hive.

After cycle is under way, the queen cells started the previous Friday are
removed from the cell starter hive to a cell finisher hive (a double hive
above a queen excluder), so that the next batch can be started. Our cell
starter hive can be any strong queenless hive.  We are working this year
with a "coffin box" which is 3 brood chambers wide with a laying queen in
each outside chamber, queen excluder strip across internal entrance to
central chamber and closable entrances to all 3 boxes.  The hives can be
allowed to fly from their own entrances when not required for queen breeding
when the outside entrances are closed and all bees enter through the central
chamber which is stocked with brood and bees from either side and the cell
bar inserted.

Monday morning is distribution to mating nucleus hive of the cells started
14 days beforehand.

When not using the Jenter kit it can remain in the breeder hive with the
restraint cage in place - the bees will store and seal honey in it but this
can be spun out before commencing the cycle again.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]