From:
"Ted F. Wout" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 23:51:05 EST
Barry Birkey wrote:
>The other slant that has always interested me is the whole debate about
>whether hives should be in full sun or shaded.  When you think about how
>the "wild" bees would have there nests, I'm not sure how you draw
>parallels from it as bees have used wall cavities for hives (which I
>would tend to think stay on the warmer side due to exposure) and also
>tree cavities which I'm sure would tend to be cool

It's great to be back on the list.  I've missed it but been to busy to
particpate or even read posts.

I think we need to remeber that bees in the wild don't normally make as
much honey as properly managed hives.  At least that's what I've been
told.  My experience agrees with wild hives that I have removed from
trees and houses, there wasn't much honey to retrieve from the wild hive.
 I think wild hives have smaller inner hive dimensions and will swarm
when things get tight.  Managed bees produce abundant honey and have to
dry it all.  Their swarming behavior is controlled by expanding the size
of the hive and other swarm prevention measures.  We trade procreation
for honey production.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX, USA (about 20 miles south of Dallas)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]