From:
Elroy Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:31:09 -0800
Hi All,
        There has been alot of questions  raised on the use of FGMO as to prove
it will really work under scientific tests, my real concern though I had
not stated so in any of my posts is the resistance of mites to apistan.
If the V-mites do actually build up resistance, and it looks like it my
be starting this year, where is another method of treatment that is
approved?

I haven't used Apistan much as I am a recycled beekeeper from the 70s
when there were no mites to complicate beekeeping life. I've read
several post about how apistan will kill 95% or 99% of the v-mites. I am
really curious what condition is the 1% of v-mite is in, have they
become  super mites that can not be killed by apistan the next time?
Maybe all beekeepers have been breeding super mites all along without
knowing.

As I see it FGMO just might be the effective tool to kill these super
v-mites as it smothers the mite instead of killing chemically. The state
of Minnesota does expect to find some resistant mites for the first time
this year, the clock is running out on apistan to be effective.
We need alot more tools to keep those pesky mites off our bees not less.

I have used apistan last spring on my first 25 colonies, this year 120
colonies with no apistan use just FGMO for protection. I plan on
doubling every year after, so if I succeed with out apistan that alone
should be proof that FGMO works.

Good luck in the v-mite battle

Elroy