From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:48:48 +0100
Vincent Smith wrote:

> Many thanks for the info regarding the toxicity of honey produced from
> ragwort.It is ok to eat and a copy of the UK Min of Ag report

Having had a quick look at the Maff report it would seem to me that it
would not be at all good to eat ragwort honey and perhaps the notice
should have been left in the Post Office!
I think it would depend on the density of ragwort (or any poisonous
plant) in the area.  It has been my experience that where you have only
one or two plants in an area then the bees will ignore those plants but
where you find a lot of plants then the bees start to take an interest.
During recent years I believe ragwort (and many other weeds) are
becoming more common (possibly due to "Set-aside" or perhaps lack of
finance to control the weeds) and it would seem to me quite possibe that
the percentage of ragwort honey in any batch could reach higher levels
than normal.
I think that in New Zealand (I expect Nick will respond here!!!) they do
have restrictions on taking honey at certain times or areas where there
are poisonous plants.
Unless you are a ragwort fancier then I would think it would be prudent
to destroy any plants in your garden.  I don't think it is a
particularly nice plant and I am sure you could find something better.
I think the danger to bees and honey is very slight but the seeds can
travel a long distance and some poor horse might thank you in the
following years if its field is not contaminated with ragwort!  Having
said all this I don't think any government has the right to sentence any
plants or animals to extinction which is what would seem to be in their
minds when they made this Act.

--
Harry
Scotland