From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:22:29 +0900
mark writes:

>can i impose on the collective ideas of u all...... to find out a quick &
>efficient way to get rid of the burr comb that is clogging up between the bars?

Burr comb is a genetic trait - select hives for queen breeding that do not
build excessive burr comb.  Even when using 9 frames in honey supers, which
I do as common practice, my best hives do not build burr comb.

On frames that do have burr comb, I use a paint scraper,usually just after I
have rotated the frames for 24 hours through a chest freezer to kill all
stages of wax moth.  I have not had the problem of completely clogging a
queen excluder although when I examine hives that have been abandoned by
others, the hive will have built drone brood in all possible spaces.

Best way to eliminate burr comb is probably to make sure hive can work
productively at all time - inspect brood box and remove any frames of honey
and pollen to above excluder, replacing them with foundation or fully drawn
brood frame to keep the queen working.  Use of a hive mat ensures the hive
does not extend comb above the top frame bar.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]