Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:19:23 GMT+0200
Hi Carlos and All

Carlos wrote:

>         Very interesting your motion on the possible evolution of the bee.  We
 wait
> that in  a next future the scientific evidence confirm with made these
> intelligent hypothesis.

I believe that the evidencefor this has been published in a book by
Dr Friedrich Ruttner (I have read it cover to cover a few times and
find it to be a very interesting book) - Biogeography and Taxonomy of
the Honey Bees. He proposed on the basis of morphological
measurements similar to those used at present to differentiate
africanized bees from european bees by Texas State Authorities and
others, the split into the three groups.

I have tried to locate the references that backed this research up on
mitochondrial level, but am having difficulty  with the library
online function at present. (will have to go and look in a file -
eeeeeek)

I think the they were by Dr Deborah Roan Smith, or maybe by a one of
the big name german groups. I cannot remember.

So I think that we can soundly say that Dr Ruttners brilliant
reasoning has been confirmed by modern scientific techniques.
(Interestingly enough those mitochondrial DNA papers use as a
comparison/outgroup the eastern cavity nesting bee, A.cerana-which
further shows that it shares a common ancestor with all of our bees.)

>         If possible I would like to listen somewhat more on this, for example until
> where it can arrive the african bee in North America.   Until Washington? or
> Massachusets?

I personally think that it will not go much further than it has in
Texas, and that if it makes it to Florida it will thrive, likewise
parts of Lousiana and much of California as these areas have extremes
of climate that are maybe within the range the bees can tolerate.
There is also the possibility of the bees harbouring in 'donor'
hives. (hives maintained by people that do nice things like putting
them in sheds with heating etc) These bees will swarm in spring -
often- successfully.

Anyhow, just some thoughts.

Keep well

Garth

>         Regards
>

>         Carlos Aparicio
>

> At 05:56 PM 14/01/1998 GMT+0200, Garth wrote:
> >Hi Carlos
> >
> >Some of the things you mentioned about african bees were interesting
> >but clashed with some things I have heard.

---
Garth Cambray       Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

On holiday for a few months     Rhodes University
Which means: working with bees 15 hours a day!
Interests: Fliis and bees
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.