From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:18:41 -0600
>         I would suggest that a checking point for new queens would be the
> amount of holes developed in the pattern. Too many, and that queen needs
> replacing and using a different breeder next time. A word of caution. At
> certain times of the year ie. heavy flow, it is possible that the central
> area will get clogged with incoming nectar, until the bees get organised
> and store it away. The way we check, is to note which frame she is laying
> on, then go back after sealing to check for holes.

To add to this, it is important to remember that a queen can inheirit a
bad pattern from a previous queen.  If she fills holes as fast as the
young bees hatch, there will be shotgun patterns for a few generations.

If a queen has even one frame where she has a good pattern, that likely
indicates she is not suffering from the fault in question.

Allen

You can check the BEE-L archives by sending email to
[log in to unmask] saying
SEARCH BEE-L topic
Substitute a key word or two for the word 'topic' above
Try it -- You'll Like it!