Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 22:31:02 +0100
Stewart Beattie wrote:

> I have been reading with interest the discussions over
> the last few months on various soft chemical methods
> to control varroa.
> Has anyone followed up the East Europe procedure to
> raise the temperature of the hive to 45 C.to drop the mites
> I have read that this was first reported in Japan in 1970
> and also in the Soviet Union.
> The addition of a vapour of wintergreen gave a success rate of 95%
> drop in mites in the hive.
> The discussion on thymol seems to me dependant on securing a proper
> distribution in the hive. Would using a Therm-box with thymol be
> successful.
> It seems to me if this worked a portable heater/blower connecting to
> the bottom varroa hive floor screen and circulating via the roof would be
> easy to construct. Provided an electrical supply was obtainable at the
> apairy.
> Can anyone comment on this method, or tried it.
> Hi Stewart,
I looked at this method earlier this year.  The "Thermo Box" as
described in the Scottish Beekeeper (Sept 96) would be fairly expensive
to make.  It requires a fan heater and an accurate thermostat.  The
heater was placed on top of the hive and blew hot air down through an
air diverter plate, on which you placed the  volatile substance
(wintergreen oil), and out through the hive entrance where it was lead
through a 100mm plastic hose back to the heater on top of the hive.  The
system is thus a closed air system. To be effective the colony has to be
treated at least twice at seven day intervals.  Each treatment last 15
minutes with the hive being closed for one hour after each treatment.
I could not find a supply of wintergreen oil ( methyl salicylate)
although I did not try very hard.  Since there is no varroa in my area
yet I put the project on hold but it looked to me like a possibility.
Did you have a nice holiday?
--
Harry
Scotland