From:
Peter Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:59:32 GMT
 CHRS: IBMPC 2
 CODEPAGE: 437
 MSGID: 240:244/116 2d8c4c4d
 REPLY: 240:44/0 2bcc8b0f
 PID: FDAPX/w 1.12a UnReg(227)
Bats fly late evening, early morning no later than dawn. Bees fly early morning
through to mid evening. Bees generally also fly lower than Bats so there should
be no conflict, I have never seen bats catch any of my bees but that proves
NOTHING. I will talk to my friend the Batman, we can checck the droppings no
doubt. I can tell you about flycatchers, I had ten hives alongside oil seed
rape (Brassica napus) Canola) I observed a flycatcher pop out the hedge and
pick off a bee, it picked twenty more until it either missed one or built up
too much alarm pheromene, 21,2 & 3 had a go at a very surprised flycatcher, it
ducked and dived and soared as it flew away, as it became smaller in the
distance the air became blacker with bees chasing it, I have never seen this
before or since. Another thing I notice, about ten to twenty yards out from
some hives I threw a football up in the air for the dog to catch, at eight to
ten foot in the air it was divebombed by bees, likewise with a tennis ball, was
this reaction the smell of the dog's saliva on the ball or the bees thinking
they were being attacked.
Greetings from the garden of England
---
 * Origin: Kent Beekeeper Beenet Point (240:244/116)