From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 03:55:33 -0600
> If bees are unable to continuously occupy an area of a hive they seem
> reluctant to fill it permanently with honey.  This is one reason why
> controlled crowding is important to getting comb honey built. This is
> also why top ventillation can result in reduced crops if not applied
> wisely at the correct time in the year, if at all.

There seems to be some misunderstanding of what I am saying -- or trying
to say -- about ventillation.  What I am saying is that I do not recommend
ventillating *the supers* in our climate.  I am, however, a firm believer
in upper entrances and therefore I use auger holes in all brood boxes.  We
also ventillate in winter.  I have some pictures of what our hives look
like in spring at http://www.internode.net/Honeybee/Spring.htm You'll
notice they all have auger holes in both brood boxes. (Darn nice pictures
too, if I do say so myself.  I am only sorry I haven't gotten around to
really finishing that part of the site).

In my recent post I was referring only to the *supers* area in a hive and
have found that ventillation there does no harm in a *warm* summer, but in
cool summers it is a bad idea.  Who can tell what the weather will be in
a few days.  I can't -- in Alberta at least.  Frost in June and August is
not uncommon.   On cool nights and rainy or windy days I want my bees up
working in the supers, not hunkered down in the brood boxes

YMMV

Allen
--
Buy, sell, trade, get a job, hire help, announce a
meeting, advertise a business or publication...