From:
Kathy Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 01:45:26 -0500
Marlin(SCOTT) Kline,
I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like you did the right things, if
anything you erred to the side of caution and IMHO, that is a good
thing.

As for Andy Nachbaur's other comments about  "Afro Bee Slash and Burn"
"quarantine boss with star and gun at the ready"; it appears to me that
Andy has some problem with the current method of quarantine being used
in this country to attempt to stop/slow the spread of african honeybees
(perhaps this has been discussed at length in the past? it doesn't
really matter).  Along the same vein, I recall an earlier post in which
he advises someone looking for African honeybee stock to breed in the
US, that he contact some of the guys behind quarantine lines to get AHB
breeding stock.

I figured when no one blasted him for that (IMO irresponsible) post,
that most everyone here on BEE-L had come to appreciate Andy for his
forwarding of other peoples info, press releases, etc. but had learned
to ignore much of what  he personally had to say (I was lucky to have
been forewarned).

Scott, there are many who post good info to this list, make referrals to
good sources, and quote many of the best beekeeping minds of today (both
in the scientific community and in the practical world of beekeeping).
David Green / Pollinator, Dr. Jerry Bromenshenk, Andrew Matheson,
Richard Bonney, & Larry Connor are a few of the better known names that
have posted here in the last few weeks whose info I trust and whose
opinions are usually  founded on fact.  There are even more people with
various levels of experience who post to this list, who have good
information to give to others and who share it  with all of the
appropriate qualifiers (eg: in my experience..  i read this there..
someone i respect told me.. i've done this for x years.. in my region of
the world.. etc.).  These are the types of people who's info you'd do
well to read and perhaps respond to...  ignoring the rest.

Sorry folks, it's not usually my style to blast someone.  As I expect
there'll be more than a few flames for this, to keep the clutter down on
the list, send 'em direct to [log in to unmask]

Kathy