Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:05:29 -0700
Marlin (SCOTT) Kline wrote:

>Hello  This the first time I have asked for someone's opinion with there
>experience with bees,not implying that it is not needed only that I
>normally just read from the list and learn.This is my first year and
>have one hive.I have two more setup for next year,anyway my question
>is,I went to remove the honey super and install apistan strips in the
>first and second deep supers,in removing the honey super I noticed they
>were very upset,I was using a smoker which only upset them more.  Etc.

   I have had the same experience when encountering two colonies
(side-by-side) in the throes of death from varroa infestation.  Chalkbrood
prevailed, and the bees really had nothing left to defend.  Although I
inserted Apistan strips, both colonies were dead a month later --- still
full of honey.

   Back in the 1950s we would have said those colonies had become
"demoralized."

                                                Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                         (805) 893-2838 (UCSB office)
Ecol., Evol., & Marine Biology           (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Univ. of Calif., Santa Barbara           (805) 963-8508 (home office & FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

*  "Discovery is to see what everyone else has seen,                  *
*         but to think what no one else has thought."                 *
*                                       ---    Albert Szent-Gyorgyi   *