From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 23:38:08 +0100
Excerpts from BEE-L wrote:

> From:          David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
> To:            [log in to unmask]
>
> > I think that this is probably due to the fact that the bees thus born are
> > going to go through a more rapid metamorphosis. I do not know this, but
> > would think that a fastidious hive would clean any
>
> This is an area that seems a trifle strange to me and we have discussed this
> before.

I agree to that. Tests done at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in
92gives this result;

No difference could be found in postcapping stages between the cell sizes. There
was a
tendency to smaller bees in smaller cells. Comparision of the reproduction of the
mites in
different cell sizes showed no significant differences if the material was
divided into two
groups, fertile and non fertile mother mites. There were significant diffrerences
between cell
sizes in offspring composition but the result do not indicate that the
reproduction of
mites was substantially influenced by cell size on worker bee brood.

The whole study can be found on my homepage under <research>.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]    http://www.kuai.se/~beeman/