From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 21:35:30 -0500
Allen Dick wrote:
> At that time I noticed about 50-100 bees from this hive at the old hive
> location looking for the entrnace that was now 15 feet to the South.
> Over 8 weeks and these ladies still remembered!    How long will
> "confined" bees remember the previous hive location?

I took an observation hive to the county fair 10 miles away.  They were
there for 6 days.  When I brought them back home, I put them in a different
location thinking they had been away long enough.
The new location was about 15 feet away.  The field bees (I assume) went
back to the old location. About a third of the bees.
I scooped them up and dumped them in front of the observation hive and
most, but not all went back into the hive.

I bet someone out there has more info on this or at least more stories.

billy bee