From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 18:58:12 +0900
Sharon asked for comments on her observation hive:

>Hi I'm glad to see a thread on observation hives as we had a strange
>occurance here week before last. Our hive is a 8 frame hive which we
>stocked in the spring. Everything was fine except that the queen we
>introduced from California, would only lay on two of the frames, and they
>were slowly going down in numbers.

If there were ample nectar supplies and pollen coming in the queen should be
laying.   Conditions being good, requeening is the correct response to any
poor laying pattern.  As the old queen was balled it would seem the bees
agreed with you although I do not understand why no replacement was raised.

>We requeened yesterday and added a full frame
>of honey, so far the bees are showing very little interest in her.

Is she soliciting food from workers?  I usually allow 4 - 5 days for a queen
to commence laying after the stress of a journey so as long as the bees are
not objecting to her presence I would give her a chance to settle down.

> The exit pipe is on the side down towards the base.
>We're wondering about having them fly out the top.

Entrances at the bottom are easier for the bees to drag out debris and dead
bodies.  I have a top entrance to enable me to walk next to the shed without
interrupting the flight path. Either will work effectively.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]