From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 07:03:14 -0600
> Lots of talk about moving bees.  First, I move bees regularly, and have
> noticed  few things...

Me too.  We've written lots here about this here and each time it's made
me more observant of what we are doing, and I've realised that there is
just no simple answer.  The bees just do not read our books or this list
:)  They will tell you clearly what they can handle if you can read the
signs.

We move bees daytime, nightime.  We move them winter, spring, summer and
fall.  We move them 1 foot or 100 miles -- and any distance in between.  We
seldom lose many bees, although sometimes some wind up drifting into other
hives due to the mixup.

I guess the best answer is you can try just about anything -- and it may
or may not work depending on the bees, the time of year, the time of day,
flow conditions, etc.  The most important thing is to think ahead and
consider what you may have to do if your move does not work out.

Then move, watch for a while at both locations -- new and old.  Decide if
the bees are adjusting or hopelessly lost and that you might have to move
the hive back or place a nuc there to catch the stragglers.  It may take
an hour or three for the bees to stop re-orienting.  Just don't wait half
a day or more and decide to move them back, 'cause you'll just double
your trouble.

Allen