Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:44:57 -0500
I am not disputing what you said as a matter of pride, but only as what I
hope will be taken as clearing up a misconception.  My comments come from
listening to both representatives of Sandoz as well as representatives of
Ohio State, Penn State, and Cornell.
It is, as stated, very important to leave the strips in only as long as
directed on the package.  The reason is that the chemical discharge from the
strips weakens over time and it is very important to keep a chemical
discharge with the planned potency to kill 99% of the mites.  If fewer than
that number are killed, those remaining will be exposed to a dosage that is
less potent and will build tolerance to the chemical.
Replacing the strips with new strips (with the 99% killing power) will not
encourage build up of tolerance!  Leaving in old strips with a reduced
killing power will!
In fact, one of the most interesting talks I heard (from a Sandoz
representative) was what would be the hypothetical result of a 97% kill
rate, rather than 99%.  It was frightening to hear him go through the
numbers on mite reproduction, with the 3% left, and what would happen to the
hive!
Hope this helps.